Friday, April 2, 2010

Long time no post.

I was out for this week before last up in las vegas. My father has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and is something of a financial mess. Suffice to say, plan for you future people.

In the largest case of irony ever, I watched him try to explain to a doctor how he's "not like some people" that take advantage of "wellfare" systems. Mind you, this is coming from a uninsured dieing man in the county hospital that was claiming social security, unemployment, and had 400 dollars to his name.

He also watches Fox "news". *sigh*

I try to respect this person and I do want to take care of him, but I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. I think I'm doing it more for my brother than anything else, because I know that he will try to do it all himself. My relationship with this man has never been good. His irresponsibility and tendency to lie have jaded my view him over time. For a long time when I was young I would defend his lies to other people, even my mother. I desperately wanted him to be an archetypal father, but looking back, I have a hard time saying he was. Suffice to say, this is not the person I wish to emulate.

This is all brought to bare because he needs, or will need, someone to look after him soon and I don't feel he really ever did much of the same for me. The second part being his fiscal irresponsibility is possibly going to become a burden to my brother and I.

1 comment:

  1. In a perfect world, no member of our family would ever be a burden. I'm well versed in this, and it's shitty. It's shitty to deal with and shitty to think about. But what are you supposed to do? Just say, "fuck the world?" This is a real problem for those of us with a strong moral compass. We'd rather be unhappy than forego doing the right thing. I just hope your own unhappiness is minimized in your course.

    ReplyDelete